In this tutorial, we are going to share how to create a blob shadow in Unity game engine. Blob shadow is very common in toon style game, especially mobile games. Replacing cast shadow to blob shadow helps to increase the game performance because blob shadow is not as heavy as cast shadow.
To create a blob shadow, we need to use projector in Unity. A Projector allows you to project a Material onto all objects that intersect its frustum. The material must use a special type of shader for the projection effect to work correctly.
Step by step instruction to create blob shadow
- Open a new scene
- In this tutorial, we are going to use Toon Bat as example. You can buy Toon Bat here.
- Drag Toon Bat prefab from Prefabs folder to the scene.
- Create a 3D plane and set position to 0,0,0.
- Create an empty game object. Rename it as Blob Shadow.
- Add projector to the Blob Shadow
- Assign the texture to projector.
- Rotate the Blob Shadow so that it's facing the ground.
- Parent it under Toon Bat.
- Hit play button!